The Story of 110 N LBJ
photo cred: Rod Schmidt
The History of 110 N LBJ
The official date that the building was born is still unknown. It was previously thought to have been built in 1905.
1885-1890- A furniture store occupied this building- the name of the business is unknown. The address was 222 N Austin. (Which is 110 N LBJ today)
1891-1905- An Express (Delivery) Office occupied this building- the name of the business is unknown.
1904 - On April 1st the building was owned by Thos. Taylor who transferred ownership to D.P. Hopkins
1906-1921- A Post office occupied this building. The address was 130 N Austin. The address of this building changed from 222 N Austin to 110 N Austin.
1913 -D.P. Hopkins and M.L.C. Hopkins transferred ownership to Helen Gould Fulps, Alice Roosevelt Fulps, and Abraham Lincoln Fulps of Caldwell Country. The Fulps' paid $3,500 for the property and used 11 promissory notes
1915 -J.C. Fulps inherited the property due to Alice, his daughter, dying. He then transferred ownership to Helen and Abraham.
1922-1929- Vacant (110 N Austin)
1930-1939- A store with a warehouse in the back- type of store and name of business is unknown.
1938 -Mrs. Stella Mae Fulps sells property to her divorced husband Abraham Lincoln Fulps. She inherited the property from their marriage and sold it back to him for $10.
1940-1942- Hays County Herald occupied this building. According to The National Endowment for the Humanities this was a weekly newspaper serving Hays County.
1942-1949- This part of history is still unknown
1950-1966- Milligan Radio and T.V. Service occupied this building with address of 110 N Austin. The owner of this business was Terry Milligan, now passed
1951-Assuming Helen married Albert Barth, the two then sold their portion of the property to Helen's brother Abraham. Abraham Lincoln Fulps bought the property for $5,000 on July 23.
1967-1968- This part of history is still unknown.
1969-1971- A superior upholstery company occupied this building. The address was 110 N LBJ.
1972-1980- Pizza Plaza occupied this building. The phone number of the business was 512-392-0156 with an address of 112 N LBJ. ( Which is 110 N LBJ today)
1981-1984- Valentino's Pizza with an address of 112 N LBJ.
1985 - Bijan Afkhami purchased the property from Abraham Lincoln Fulps Estate on December 31, 1985. Bijan owned the business Valentinos
1985-1988- Valentino's pizza shared the building with Dietz Sewing and Bridal center which occupied 112 AN LBJ while Valentino's occupied 112 N LBJ.
1989-1990- Valentino's occupied 112 N LBJ while 112 AN LBJ was vacant.
1991-1992- Valentino's occupied 112 N LBJ while 112 AN LBJ was a downtown restaurant. The name of the business is unknown.
1993-1995- Valentino's occupied 112 N LBJ while 112 AN LBJ was vacant.
2005- Bijan Afkami sold the building to Andrew Moore became owner on August 1, 2005, who also bought the business, Valentinos, from then Owner Dan, Clemts.
2012 – Andrew Moore sells the building to Bobbi and Carter Hill, who had actually bought the business Valentinos from him several years earlier
2018 – Valentinos closes and the owners sell the building to Mark Shields (MLKSM LLC) who then leases it to buildings current tenants, Harlan Scott and Cody Taylor who reopen Valentinos in June 2022.
Credit to James Coursey with research compiled from the San Marcos Public Library from information from the Polk Collection, Historic Collection, local phone directories dating back to the 1900's, Sandborn Maps, and from phone interviews with local residents.